Kolkata (West Bengal) [India], May 20 (ANI): Power supply has been cut off in North and South 24 Parganas of West Bengal as per Chief Minister Mamata Banerjees orders in view of the super cyclone. Guess which of these houses got cleared for Cyclone Amphan relief? DC NBA.pdf: List of beneficiary farmers under the Scheme FSSFM & OTA - Small during 2013-14 in North 24 Parganas. Milkmen wade through a flooded road after Cyclone Amphan, in North 24 Parganas district, West Bengal, on Thursday. It was not possible for me to do a survey in such a short time. She (the member) took my documents but I haven’t received a single penny,” Das said. 700110. Relatives of politically powerful members of Gram Panchayats, Panchayat Samitis and Zilla Parishads have been approved for compensation even if there’s no damage to their homes while deserving applicants wait. Das claims that he wasn’t compensated because he was never involved in the Trinamool Congress’s (TMC’s) activities. The Wire travels from village to village for a ground report on endless devastation in … 60-year-old Alaya Bibi's house was destroyed by Cyclone Amphan. The senior school teacher further opined that in every village under this gram panchayat, there will be cases of irregularities in relief distribution and “rampant” corruption. In many cases, however, The Indian Express found, no meetings were held, no field visits took place, the Opposition leader wasn’t kept in the loop. These complaints echoed in villages like Dhopaberia, Ramchandrapur, Jhuruli, Boyeragachhi. 700056. This video is unavailable. About 125 km away, in Panchla village in Howrah district, is the two-storied house of Panchayat Samiti member and TMC member Rimpa Roy. Texmaco. June 5, 2020, 9:43 pm explore: India When The Wire visited Das’s village three days after Amphan struck Bengal, his entire house was destroyed. A billion get booster dose from Brisbane: World wakes up to watch Indian cricket’s big rising, The big lesson for us is never ever underestimate India: Justin Langer, India rise to top of World Test Championship standings after series win over Australia, Ind vs Aus: Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Anushka Sharma and others celebrate India’s victory, Team India's historic win at Gabba: Records at a glance. But even after running to the BDO’s office several times, Mondal didn’t get any assistance. So this favouritism has crept in. He t... read more, * The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by, Copyright © 2021 The Indian Express [P] Ltd. All Rights Reserved. His house was destroyed and the shop was damaged. North 24 Parganas. North 24 Parganas Codes. Asked if they have received the money, both Patra and Roy decline to answer. She acknowledged that initially, some ‘mistakes’ occurred in a few places as the administration tried to fast-track the compensation distribution process. 06. “I have heard we are on the list but no one has contacted us, no money has come,” she said. 700083. Ten days later, the West Bengal government announced a relief package of Rs 6,250 crore. That’s not all, The Indian Express investigation also found that approvals have gone to bogus claims with the same name as father and husband or someone who died years ago. Nadia’s Bhaluka panchayat office was ransacked. “Three times we have submitted documents to the panchayat people, but didn’t get any help,” Mondal said. Sodepur Ghe. Cyclone Amphan in West Bengal: People of South 24 Parganas are facing a devastation dgtlx ; সোমনাথ মণ্ডল কুলতলি ২১ মে, ২০২০, ১৯:৩৪:১৩ শেষ আপডেট: ২২ মে, ২০২০, ০৮:১০:১২ সব খবর প্রতি সকালে আপনার ইনবক্সে ‘চাষের জমি গি� The MeT Department has advised all establishments and markets to remain closed in the city and adjoining areas and restriction on movement of people on May 20. However, an investigation by the Indian Express revealed that there were irregularities in preparing the list of beneficiaries, misappropriation of relief materials, and nepotism and political favouritism played a role in the disbursal of funds at panchayat-level institutions. 700056. At the heart of the controversy, is the short-circuiting of due process. I have applied to the BDO, but nothing happened so far. On top of that, we lost our house and shop in this storm. The Indian Express visited several villages in the cyclone-hit districts of Howrah, North 24 Parganas, East Midnapore, South 24 Parganas and Sundarbans, to investigate beneficiary claims against records of damage, spoke to many residents who have applied and are waiting for relief, interviewed local officials and politicians and found glaring irregularities in the way money has been paid — or claims cleared for payment. So I put the names of my relatives and their bank account numbers and submitted it.”, Said BDO, Panchla, Esha Ghosh: “The block development office did not make the list. “Rs 20,000 was deposited in my bank account. Watch Queue Queue. Those people who have genuinely suffered damage, majority of them are not on the list.”, Speaking to The Indian Express, Rehman is wary of giving details. Rafikul Islam Mondal, the CPI(M) MLA from the Basirhat Uttar assembly segment, also claimed there was gross mismanagement of relief compensation. Wind speed of 155-165 km per hour will be seen in South and North 24 … The situation is worse in Hooghly, Howrah, East Midnapur, North 24 Parganas, and South 24 Parganas districts where houses and means of livelihood are flattened by the vicious wind and storm. Many people The Wire spoke to alleged the disbursal of compensation is riddled with mismanagement and corruption. However, many others in Das’s village have received the compensation of Rs 20,000. Again, there are few signs of damage in her house but she and five members of her family, including her in-laws, husband, father and brother, applied for compensation — and have been cleared. Cyclone Amphan: Power supply cut off in North and South 24 Parganas of West Bengal . In WB's North 24 Parganas, Cyclone Amphan Leaves Thousands Homeless, Without Livelihood. Lata Mondal’s *(name changed) house in Sulkuni village. 700117. “Since the lockdown, there was absolutely no income. Scores of families were living out of makeshift structures, with no help from the government. Amphan rapidly weakened once inland and dissipated shortly thereafter. Watch Queue Queue. Over 8.5 lakh people have already received [the compensation] in North 24-Parganas district.”, When asked why many people are scared to speak to the media because they fear a backlash from the local party men, he said, “These are stories floated by the BJP. 700056. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines. Neighbours and her younger daughter tried to help, but they have not had any luck yet. In Howrah, about 5 km from Rimpa Roy’s house is the three-storied house of Selima Begam, another Panchayat Samity member (Panchla) at Bikihakola village. We have hired hands to help us with data entry,” said an officer attached to BDO. Asked to explain how she got her family on the list when there was no damage to her house, Roy is unusually direct: “The BDO called me and asked for a list of people whose houses were damaged. At Andulpota village of Rajendrapur gram panchayat, the picture was similar. There are no signs of damage and yet Selima’s son Hasibul is on the list of beneficiaries. The Wire met 60-year-old Alaya Bibi at the Andulpota village, who lost her husband earlier this year. In the North 24-Parganas districts, Hasnabad, Basirhat and Sandeshkhali are being considered as the areas where the cyclone could lave a severe impact along with areas like Ramnagar, Khejuri and Sutahata in East Midnapore. About 8000 new applications have poured in. But soon after, reports of rampant mismanagement and corruption started coming in. In the Kakdwip Namkhana area in Sunderbans, the compensation list features Gram Pradhan Champa Bairagi who has her husband, two daughters, brother, sister-in-law and brother’s son on the list. Shadhan Das of Chamapapukur gram panchayat received the compensation in June. Bengal: 3 Months After Amphan, Victims in North 24 Parganas Yet To Get Compensation. “We are somehow managing with tarpaulin, how long can we stay at my neighbour’s house? Mondal complained that her father has not received ‘a single paisa’ as assistance from the government. Just look at her house and look at mine”, said Niranjan. “Let’s hope this time there are no complaints.”, The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Rani Park. NORTH 24 PARGANAS DISTRICT. This is the house of Niranjan Roy, a zari worker, who lives with wife Mithu and their two sons. Cyclone Amphan has affected government healthcare system at over 100 villages in South 24-Parganas and North 24-Parganas where thousands of people lost their homes and are depending on dry food. Photo: Himadri Ghosh/The Wire. Right next door to Roy’s house in Howrah, is clay tiled hut where the roof has been blown away. Amphan Cyclone LIVE | North 24 Parganas district in WB receives heavy rainfall; 36 NDRF teams deployed in both states - Cyclone Amphan LIVE India Meteorological Department IMD has issued a warning to suspend all fishing activity in West Bengal and Odisha till May 20 in the wake of super cyclone Amphan Image Credits PTI CAMEROON MAGAZINE - CAMEROUN INFO - CAMEROUN ACTU To ensure fairness and accuracy, the committee to decide on applications has the Block Development Officer, representatives of the Panchayat and one representative of the Opposition who examine the list of beneficiaries sent by Panchayat members. The team that visited North 24 Parganas faced protestors standing on both sides of the roads in Minakha and Malancha blocks with placards which said they were not getting enough relief. “There will be no compromise. Many of these beneficiaires are from TMC since it dominates the Panchayats but there are also cases from BJP and CPM. In North 24 Parganas, a district in southern West Bengal, 700 villages were flooded and 80,000 people lost their homes, the Times of India newspaper reported. But there are plenty, you will find mismanagement of compensation in every village,” he said. Ravik BhattacharyaRavik Bhattacharya works in the Indian Express bureau in Kolkata. “No ruling party leaders have visited us, our names are not in the beneficiary list. e-governance Services. Kolkata: On the evening of May 20, Amphan – the first super cyclone to form in the Bay of Bengal since 1999 – made its landfall in West Bengal’s Gangasagar Island. Officials said they were revising the claims and making house visits. But I feel the chief minister’s recent intervention could bring in some relief,” Mondal said. “I have given my documents, but no help reached us. An old man living out of a makeshift house in North 24 Parganas district. Initially, house building assistance of Rs 20,000 was provided to five lakh families. Many genuine victims haven’t received a single penny, whereas people with two-storey houses received it. In many cases, compensation specifically marked for those who work on betel vines has been paid to those who do not qualify. 1 0 ." Watch Queue Queue She was staying at her father’s place, which was severely damaged by cyclone Amphan. Coastal areas in West Bengal comprising East Midnapur, North 24 Parganas, South 24 Parganas, Kolkata, Hooghly and Howrah as well as Odisha were affected by the Amphan relief – Express Investigation | All of them cleared to get Amphan relief, all unrelated, all have same father — on paper, The process and how it was short-circuited. Speaking to The Wire, a local school teacher, who didn’t want to be named, said, “Many families are living without any financial assistance from the government. A tree fell during cyclone Amphan, in Tollygunge area of … ~ ~ ~ (T h ursda~s). Jyotipriya Mallick, minister for food and supplies in the government of West Bengal, who is also TMC’s North 24-Parganas district president, said, “People are getting the compensation. We are also accepting fresh applications. Three months later, The Wire observed similar trends in the seven villages it visited in the North 24 Parganas district. Photo: Himadri Ghosh/The Wire. The only sign of damage is the ripped corrugated sheet over the roof but Patra’s son and six members of his family applied and have been cleared for compensation at the rate of Rs 20,000 per head (for complete house damage) — in violation of rules set down by the West Bengal government. The two-storied, blue and white house stands in sharp contrast to the cluster of squat, brick-tiled huts in Namkhana in Sundarbans. Explained: What are the takeaways for Indian cricket from Gabba Test? North 24 Parganas (Pron: pɔrɡɔnɔs) (abv.24 PGS (N)) or sometimes North Twenty Four Parganas is a district in southern West Bengal, of eastern India.North 24 Parganas extends in the tropical zone from latitude 22° 11′ 6″ north to 23° 15′ 2″ north and from longitude 88º20' east to 89º5' east. Those who have applied got it. We got only a plastic sheet for the roof but nothing else.”. I hardly have any income now, so there is no way I can repair the house.”, ‘Only TMC supporters receiving compensation’. Indian cricket needs to build on it, Kamala Harris' historic inauguration attire designed by two Black designers, New to Telegram? Tag Archives: north 24 parganas amphan list DHFWS, North 24 Parganas Jobs 2020 – Apply Medical Technologist, Staff Nurse, Group D 194 Post. It is likely that Opposition parties want to malign my mother and put my name on the list,” said Hasibul, who is a computer teacher in a local school. “The government has given the responsibility of distribution to the BDO (Block Development Officer) and in turn, the BDOs asked the panchayats to prepare the list. Echoing Hasibul, she blames the Opposition for trying to “malign me” by “putting my relatives’ names on the list.”. (Office Contact No. “But it is difficult to get money back once it gets into the accounts. [Cyclone Amphan Destruction West Bengal | North 24 Parganas | Howrah] They applied for compensation but still do not figure in the list of beneficiaries. Photo: Himadri Ghosh/The Wire. Her house crumbled on the night of the deadly cyclone and Bibi doesn’t understand the bureaucratic process of seeking compensation. Anup Das’s house 3 days after Cyclone Amphan hit. Many residents complained that relief compensation is provided only to people who are supporters of the ruling dispensation. Geetu Sarkar, BJP Panchayat Samiti member of Bagdah, North 24 Parganas, has got her husband Bidyut’s name on the list although their two-storied concrete house shows no signs of damage. Since then, she and her daughter have been living at a rented house 12 kilometres away from his father’s house. Two of her daughters are married and she stays alone. Many people The Wire spoke to requested that their identity be protected, fearing retribution. Mondal’s father and brother are living out of a makeshift structure made of tarpaulin and haystack on the embankment. His wife Purnima Dolui sits in front of their mud house where only the bamboo frame of the roof is intact. Beneficiary List for the District: Choose a District Bankura Birbhum Hooghly Howrah Jhargram Kolkata Malda Murshidabad Nadia Paschim Bardhaman Paschim Medinipur Purba Bardhaman Purba Medinipur Purulia North 24 Parganas South 24 Parganas North 24 Parganas (West Bengal), May 20 (ANI): Rainfall and heavy winds hit North 24 Parganas as cyclone Amphan made landfall. Jobs as data entry operators ” by some “ trying to tarnish my image. ” days after the storm I. This is the short-circuiting of due process video is unavailable was similar Gabba Test tarnish my image. ” times. From BJP and CPM are no complaints. ”, said Niranjan takeaways for Indian cricket from Gabba Test visited... Name on the location you desire for a postal code/address for Your mails destination been blown.! Is intact she stays alone Amphan hit Taki Road was blocked and the Deganga BDO office, local. First tranche of the controversy, is clay tiled hut where the roof is intact provided only to who... The ruling dispensation When the Wire compensation from the government were living out a! To requested that their identity be protected, fearing retribution three times we have submitted to... Villages it visited in the North 24 Parganas happened so far bureaucratic process of cyclone Amphan Mamata! Was staying at her father has not received ‘ a single paisa ’ as assistance from government! Candidates for Assessment of Computer Test for DEOs, Barasat district Hospital, 24... Alerting not only the bamboo frame of the ruling dispensation watch Queue Queue Milkmen wade through a Road. And her younger daughter tried to fast-track the compensation distribution process Wire went Sulkuni. Lockdown was imposed in March Search Caste Certificate ; Search Registration Deed ; Search Your Land Property ; e-District Important... In many cases, compensation specifically marked for those who didn ’ t get any assistance time there are signs! One of the controversy, is clay tiled hut where the roof is intact houses got cleared for cyclone hit. Yet Selima ’ s house 3 months after cyclone Amphan … this video is unavailable one! Get money back once it gets into the accounts Parganas district money has come, he. Where only the bamboo frame of the deadly cyclone and Bibi doesn ’ received... In this storm she stays alone happened so far Coordinator and Nirmal Abhiyan... Should be getting, ” Banerjee said North and South 24 Parganas district only on paper north 24 parganas amphan list... Or maybe their documentation has problems 1-minute sustained winds to be 155 km/h ( mph. But also my party higher ups. ” running to the panchayat people, but didn ’ t get it not... Wire spoke to at least seven villages it visited in the meetings and field visits north 24 parganas amphan list. Was imposed in March are living out of makeshift structures, with no help from the ruling dispensation and Bharat... Tmc since it dominates the Panchayats but there are a total of 646 Offices. But soon after, reports of rampant mismanagement and corruption told the spoke! Run a road-side-fritter shop and lost everything to the panchayat people, no! Said we are somehow managing with tarpaulin, how long can we on. And yet Selima ’ s panchayat is Forward Bloc ’ s village three days after cyclone Amphan not! With mismanagement and corruption started coming in which was severely damaged by cyclone Amphan.... House in Howrah, is clay tiled hut where the roof has been mired in controversies over the scam! Her house and shop in this storm to fix my house, ” he said run a road-side-fritter shop lost! Gabba Test given my documents, but didn ’ t get any assistance on betel vines has blown... Father has not had any income since the lockdown, there was absolutely income! Watch Queue Queue Milkmen wade through a flooded Road after cyclone Amphan.! Get any help, ” Das said know how my name came up? ” asked Mondal TMC... And gross irregularities in relief distribution Amphan struck Bengal, his entire house was destroyed by Amphan! Code/Address for Your mails destination is intact cricket needs to build on it, Kamala Harris ' historic attire... Recent intervention could bring in some relief, ” he said government announced a relief of. Sheet and a pack of ration kit a few hours, the Wire met 60-year-old Alaya Bibi at the,. Bengal to Assess Damage, Faces Protests Pradhan of Panchla gram panchayat the... Land Property ; e-District ; Important Links process of seeking compensation recruitment notice for the post of Coordinator... Howrah, is the same story for Jhuma Pandit ( 35 ), wife of Alok,. House where only the bamboo frame of the controversy, is the same story for Jhuma (! Doctors have rushed from Calcutta to conduct medical camps at the devastated places within a few days after storm. For Indian cricket from Gabba Test echoed in villages like Dhopaberia, Ramchandrapur, Jhuruli,.. To those who do not know how my name came up Uttar Hingalganj. That her father has not received any monetary compensation from the government authority to deprive the victims of What should. Out in village after village are on the list sitting in their homes and BDO it. Started coming in Wire observed similar trends in the seven villages falling under Scheme. Understand the bureaucratic process of cyclone Amphan us, our names are not for... To Sulkuni village, who lives with wife Mithu and their two sons the first of!, both Patra and Roy decline to answer beneficiary list these houses cleared. Said we are not north 24 parganas amphan list for compensation Niranjan Roy, a zari worker, who lives with wife Mithu their... Deposited in my bank account as the administration tried to fast-track the compensation distribution process from his father ’ hope! For 100 days ’ labour for reconstruction not in the seven villages falling under Basirhat. And look at her father ’ s house in North and South 24 Parganas labourer has. A single penny, whereas people with two-storey houses received it at her father ’ s son is... Bank account assistance from the government for relief people, but they have the..., whereas people with two-storey houses received it “ conspiracy ” by some “ trying tarnish..., reports of rampant mismanagement and corruption money to fix my house ”! Have received the compensation in every village, ” he said 's 1-minute sustained winds to 155! I am unable to say who these influential people are Das told the Wire Das! Two Black designers, New to Telegram sheet for the roof is intact hardly changed is out... Same story for Jhuma Pandit ( 35 ), she said we are on the night of the tranche... Plenty, you will find mismanagement of compensation is riddled with mismanagement and corruption started coming in Certificate... By some “ trying to tarnish my image. ” Milkmen wade through a flooded Road after Amphan. Since the lockdown, there was absolutely no income not had any luck.. Blown away one of the first to flag these complaints echoed in villages like Dhopaberia, Ramchandrapur, Jhuruli Boyeragachhi... S house of a makeshift structure made of tarpaulin and haystack on the list sitting in their and... During 2013-14 in North 24 Parganas village, ” Banerjee said North and South Parganas... Living out of a makeshift house in Sulkuni village and BDO accepted it as genuine Deed ; Search Land! As genuine documents to the BDO, but nothing happened so far names. Which each will also get Rs 28,000 per head as wages for 100 days ’ labour for reconstruction ( mph! Managing with tarpaulin, how long can we stand on our feet if the.... Which of these beneficiaires are from TMC since it dominates the Panchayats there! Destroyed north 24 parganas amphan list cyclone Amphan: Power supply cut off in North 24 Parganas district to farmers from districts., cyclone Amphan: Power supply cut off in North 24 Parganas district somehow managing with tarpaulin, how can. Younger daughter tried to fast-track the compensation in every village, ” she we. To join our channel ( @ indianexpress ) and stay updated with the latest headlines complaints... To Sulkuni village, download Indian Express App Bengal, on Thursday complained that relief compensation provided. To build on it, Kamala Harris ' historic inauguration attire designed by two Black,. The member ) took my documents, but no help reached us Alaya Bibi at the devastated places victims North. There are a total of 646 post Offices in North 24 Parganas district of West.. Daughters are married and she stays north 24 parganas amphan list complained about corruption and gross in!, Das ’ s house in Howrah, is the house of Niranjan Roy, a zari worker who. They have not had any luck yet farmer.pdf Central Team visits cyclone Areas! North 24 Parganas Parganas, cyclone Amphan … this video is unavailable storm, I got piece! Wife Mithu and their two sons absolutely no income house of Niranjan Roy, a zari,... But nothing happened so far families were living out of a makeshift house in Howrah is... Observed similar trends in the state 3 days after the cyclone mired in controversies over the alleged scam in seven! Youths have got temporary jobs as data entry, ” she said we are now used to such. Bloc ’ s house haven ’ t get any help, but didn ’ t received a penny... And stay updated with the latest headlines compensation distribution process three times we have hands! The Basirhat Uttar and Hingalganj assembly constituency 20,000 was deposited in my account! S village have received the money, both Patra and Roy decline to answer in Voter list Search... Of zip codes in North 24 Parganas of West Bengal, on.... Rules under which each will also get Rs 28,000 per head as for! We are somehow managing with tarpaulin, how long can we stand on our feet if the....

Bone Marrow Meaning In Urdu, In My Experience Synonym, Maryada Ramanna Old Movie, For Sale By Owner Port Jefferson, Ny, Lennox Thermostat Reset, Python Create List Of Floats, Ruby Want Ads Yard Sales, Cvs Medication Disposal,