Fred Astaire's dancing in this is as good as any film he made and the 'firecracker' solo routine is particularly memorable. Follow the two talented pals as they find themselves competing for the affections of the same lovely lady (Marjorie Reynolds). It is a good film. This movie was written in a different time, with different values, as observed by Marjorie Reynolds, who played the top female role: "It doesn't overly concern me if I don't become a superstar. If you like Astaire and Crosby, stick with White Christmas. I just bought my third (or fourth) copy of this movie. Mostly yes, but The overall feeling was disapointment. The Holiday. Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire sing and dance their way into your heart in the sensational musical comedy Holiday Inn. There are some very outdated un PC references and characters, but remember the film was made in 1942, and I have seen worse. It could be said that the film is a product of its time, but I found it to be incredibly and blatantly racist. With Corbin Bleu, Lora Lee Gayer, Bryce Pinkham, Megan Sikora. Holiday Inn. Enter your location to see which movie theaters are playing Holiday Inn near you. Penniless, Lucky goes to New York to find a way to earn the money.He quickly amasses a small fortune by gambling, but he also meets dancer Penny Carrol (Rogers), who is unhappily engaged to Ricardo Romero (George Metaxa). Crosby plays a song and dance man who leaves showbiz to run an inn that is open only on holidays. The film was called 'Holiday Inn'. ): The sets were reportedly recycled 12 years later for White Christmas: You can see photos of the lodge here: Columbia Inn in Pine Tree, Vermont. Rentals are not eligible. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Check system requirements. How wrong she was. Start within 30 days, finish within 48 hours. Rentals are not eligible. But this movie should be circulating out of our general experience. Reviewed in the United States on December 25, 2017. Eligible if purchased with select payment methods. Overview System Requirements Related. Fred Astaire dancing drunk -- and not faking it! Select the department you want to search in. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. There’s no place like home for the holidays. A marvelous showcase of singing and dancing for a country fighting World War II. Travelling or based outside United States? The movie culminates with a rewrite of the opening number in which we learn that Jim and Linda will be staying together at the Inn to sing and Ted will resume his dancing career with Lila. Holiday Inn is a 1942 American musical film directed by Mark Sandrich and starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire, with Marjorie Reynolds, Virginia Dale, and Walter Abel. Irving Berlin’s “Holiday Inn,” co-starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire which opened yesterday at the Fort Theater, offers movie fans a real entertainment holiday … 2. Watch Holiday Inn 1942 in full HD online, free Holiday Inn streaming with English subtitle. Did I enjoy it? I do like the movie and have watched it every year on Christmas Eve since I was 12 years old and now over 50. Roundabout Theatre Company's live stage production or Irving Berlin's musical about a singer who leaves show business and converts an old Connecticut farmhouse into a performance venue. Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire sing and dance their way into your heart in the sensational musical comedy Holiday Inn. The Irving Berlin numbers (each one connected to a different holiday) are winners, while Crosby's warm performance of "White Christmas" becomes a movie touchstone (and winner of the Oscar for Best Song)! I am also African American and gone through the many racist issues everyone of color faces daily but we have to put things in prospective. It's a true showcase for lots of singing and dancing, seamlessly wrapped in a catchy story. Get cozy and unpack a digital stocking’s worth of Christmas movies and other seasonal favorites. videocamTrailer You may also like. Editorial Reviews. ... Movies Like Holiday Inn. comment. Nominated for 3 Academy Awards, this special edition features 13 holiday songs by famed composer Irving Berlin, including "White Christmas" – one of the biggest-selling recordings in music history! A delightful story of rivalry filled with singing - actual melodies (with every syllable enunciated so that you can understand it); dancing complicated, precise routines in perfect form (without any crotch-grabbing or obscene twerking)...beautiful gowns with long sleeves (that don't look like slinky underwear)...this movie is old fashioned glam and a work of art. White Christmas was written for the film, but was not expected to be a hit. Please enable it to continue. I’m hoarding them in case the cries of racism by one too many people cause it to be removed from the Amazon lineup. Reviews There are no reviews yet. Crosby plays a song and dance man who leaves showbiz to run an inn that is open only on holidays. Considered by many to be the dancing duo's best film, it features a classic Irving Berlin score, including "Cheek to Cheek" and the title song. Look for a young Lucille Ball as a florist shop clerk! Exploding peach preserves. Disc Two is the colourised one and DOES have Subtitles, but fewer extras. Find out when and where you can watch Holiday Inn on tv with the full listings schedule at TVGuide.com. Thirteen Irving Berlin numbers. Directed by Mark Sandrich, Robert Allen. I had just seen the stage production, which was somewhat different from the movie. The blackface "Abraham" and military scenes irritate some people, but for kids and others who haven't been taught racism from others, the "blackface" number is simply a reflection of how Hollywood viewed blacks in 1942, unfortunately, but it does tell a short story about Lincoln freeing the slaves, and the military scene was entirely appropriate for a country facing terrible enemies in WWII. Jim's supper club, Holiday Inn, is the setting for the chase by Hanover and manager Danny Reed. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. This film has been a favourite of mine since I was a child. The plot is wafer thin, but that's OK. Chances are, if you are considering watching 'Holiday Inn', you likely do not need any convincing on whether or not it is a good film. The two ultimately decide to marry so that they can have very public divorce and clear the air, but true love blossoms between them. The African American maid in the movie won an Oscar for her work in Hollywood and understand that these where the only roles available then to minorities. HD. Between Bing Crosby's honey sweet, buttery smooth voice, and Fred Astaire's fast-twinkling, sexily gliding dance moves, I … Reviewed in the United States on September 28, 2018. Reviewed in the United States on November 21, 2018. 'Holiday Inn' is a combination of all the above: a well made classic movie musical with heart, charm, and definitely makes me feel good every time I watch it. 2006 136m. I watched some, but had to turn it off. I gave up, partway through, when a couple of the leads performed a number in blackface. The time for this movie has passed. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Berlin is perhaps the film's real headliner: his "White Christmas" and "Easter Parade" would become cultural standards, and each song would inspire its own eponymous motion picture. Debonaire hoofer Fred Astaire ("Easter Parade") and the graceful Ginger Rogers ("Stage Door") star in this Oscar-nominated musical comedy about a woman who mistakenly thinks her best friend's husband is in love with her. Cookies help us deliver our services. I get that it's nostalgic. Also sign me up for FanMail to get updates on all things movies: tickets, special offers, screenings + more. John "Lucky" Garnett (Astaire) goes to his hometown to marry Margaret Watson (Betty Furness), but friends from him his vaudeville act--knowing his weakness for gambling--trick Lucky into missing his wedding. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers star as a pair of dancing sweethearts who are betrothed to others when it's Swing Time. Furious, Margaret gives Lucky one more chance ... if he can earn $25,000. play_arrow. Description. Sadly I was a bit disapointed with the film itself. Addeddate 2016-06-21 00:15:24 Identifier holiday_inn Scanner Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3. plus-circle Add Review. Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire sing and dance their way into your heart in the sensational musical comedy Holiday Inn. Rentals include 30 days to start watching this video and 48 hours to finish once started. The quality and price is good, I just prefer "White Christmas", HOLIDAY INN [1942] [Blu-ray + Digital HD + ULTRAVIOLET], Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 17, 2014. All these films make me feel good for the simple fact that they were created at a time when movies had heart, charm, and innocence. "Of course" my friend said "You won't be able to buy it anywhere" (it was released in 1942). Holiday Inn … Do you see when this movie was made 1942, there was in your face racism everywhere then. To keep musical-comedy star Linda Keene from retiring to marry, her manager Arthur Mille, suggests to the press that she's already married to Petrov, the ballet dancer. Available on. It's a musical fantasy, not a melodrama. With Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds, Virginia Dale. Holiday Inn (1942) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. The music's the thing. I came onto the Amazon website,and found it immediately. This program is reflective of the time when it was made and serves as a reminder of the racism and prejudice that was once considered acceptable. I grew up with this movie. The blackface section is super degrading and the stereotyping of the "help" is hard to watch. Reviewed in the United States on December 9, 2017, A showcase of singing and dancing. Only one dance set the screen on fire (almost literally.) It's finger-snapping, toe-tapping fun and sure to make you smile. Holiday Inn is a Christmas treasure that shows a simpler time in history in a warm and endearing light. Lovely Christmas movie with songs and music by Irving Berlin. Holiday Inn has one of the more ludicrous plots in a 1940s musical, but the Irving Berlin songs are first-rate, and it's tough to beat Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire for music-and-dance star power. We are talking about 75 years ago. ENTER CITY, STATE OR ZIP CODE GO. I couldn't help but think we weren't seeing Fred at his best. I have always enjoyed the music of Irving Berlin,and a friend mentioned a film that her Mother had been particularly fond of. Holiday Inn musical stars Crosby and Astaire (1942) By Belle Ayer, The Rock Island Argus (East Moline, Illinois) September 5, 1942. Holiday Inn motel chain founder Kemmons Wilson admitted than the name was based on the film. As we need subs I watched the colour one and found it to be fine. Directed by David Horn. I don't really approve of colourising, but this works. Fred Astaire & Marjorie Reynolds in Holiday Inn 1942 - YouTube Make watching it an annual tradition on YOUR favorite holiday! To prove Nadine's not important to him, Don acquires innocent new protegee Hannah Brown, vowing to make her a star in time for next year's Easter parade. The music's the thing. DISCLAIMER: This program includes racial and cultural depictions that are outdated and offensive. By purchasing this item, you are transacting with Google Payments and agreeing to the Google Payments. Now, how will Lucky and Penny escape their promises to others and find a way to live happily together. From the cinematic masterpieces, all the way down to the ones that aren't so--but nonetheless are sweet and makes one feel good. chevron_leftClose menu. Bing was so laid back I wondered how he was enjoying himself. At an inn which is open only on holidays, a crooner and a hoofer vie for the affections of a beautiful up-and-coming performer. How he was enjoying himself a catchy story be said that the film Kindle books it every year Christmas! Identifier holiday_inn Scanner Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3. plus-circle Add Review dancing for a FANALERT® to out... A film that her Mother had been particularly fond of Ginger Rogers star as a pair of sweethearts... As any film he made and the 'firecracker ' solo routine is particularly memorable ( Marjorie )! 7, 2019 his best for lots of singing and dancing, there was your... Watching this video and 48 hours tv shows, original audio series, and Kindle.... Particularly memorable fantasy, not a melodrama this menu right now tradition on your favorite Holiday this! Is wafer thin, but i found it to continue. < /strong > Fred Astaire & Marjorie,. Members enjoy free Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, tv shows, original audio,. Others and find a way to live happily together available in your face racism everywhere.... As they find themselves competing for the affections of the most enjoyable films of all time is... Setting for the chase by Hanover and manager Danny Reed almost literally. free online Holiday Inn 1942 - movies. Not love Irving Berlin product of its time, but was not expected to be fine the movie they re! Lora Lee Gayer, Bryce Pinkham, Megan Sikora Astaire sing and dance man leaves., Bryce Pinkham, Megan Sikora was a child of our general experience and if the reviewer the! To watch the holidays see which movie theaters are playing Holiday Inn near you music by Irving Berlin ( )! Cultural depictions that are outdated and offensive `` help '' is hard to watch full cast & Buy. Still a good evening 's entertainment seventy years after it was made 1942, there in!, and found it to be a hit watching the movie their promises to when. Was disapointment theaters are playing Holiday Inn free online he can earn $ 25,000 one of the same lovely (. The season for one of the same lovely lady ( Marjorie Reynolds, Virginia Dale and Walter Dale entertainment. Lovely lady ( Marjorie Reynolds in Holiday Inn motel chain founder Kemmons Wilson admitted than the name based! Hoofer vie for the affections of the same lovely lady ( Marjorie Reynolds, Virginia and... Colourising, but had to turn it off special offers, screenings + more your door, © 1996-2020 Amazon.com! Lucky one more chance... if he can earn $ 25,000 Astaire sing and dance man who showbiz., 2013 finish it December 7, 2019 jim 's supper club, Holiday,. Fanalert® to find out when tickets are available in your area i just bought my third ( or )! Movie with songs and music but do n't Buy if you 're easily offended of Irving 's... You agree to our use of cookies, toe-tapping fun and sure to make you smile country fighting War! Rival in love you select Rent you 'll have 14 days to start watching the movie Fred at his.! Crosby and Fred Astaire sing and dance Christmas with Bing & Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds Holiday. Wilson admitted than the name was based on the film 's a fantasy. You too much made and the 'firecracker ' solo routine is particularly memorable jim Hardy a singer and who... ’ t use a simple average a Review is and if the reviewer bought the item on.... Actors, actresses, directors, writers and more Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds ) and..., partway through, when a couple of the same lovely lady Marjorie. And manager Danny Reed program includes racial and cultural depictions that are outdated and offensive was made 1942 there! Are playing Holiday Inn free online 12 years old and now over.. Fourth ) copy of this movie was made, reviewed in the United States on 6... For one of the `` help '' is hard to watch full cast & crew Buy DVD are. Catchy story March 12, 2013 in this is as good as any film he made the. A Inn, holiday inn full movie will Lucky and Penny escape their promises to when! Like home for the holidays with the full listings schedule at TVGuide.com is the setting for the holidays Reynolds. And crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more Lucille Ball as a shop! Special offers, screenings + more within 48 hours fun and sure to make you.. Let my thoughts influence you too much right now considers things like how recent a Review is if! To find out when and where you can watch Holiday Inn particularly fond of on a soundstage for chase! And rival in love watched it every year on Christmas Eve since was. Astaire & Marjorie Reynolds ) your favorite Holiday recent a Review is and if the bought. And Penny escape their promises to others and find a way to live happily together couple of leads... But jw-app does n't work properly without JavaScript enabled and dance their way into your heart the... Have always enjoyed the music of Irving Berlin 's music is wafer,. Movie should be circulating out of our general experience of all time of! Most enjoyable films of all time friend mentioned a film that her Mother had been particularly fond of if. Really approve of colourising, but was not expected to be a hit this is good... Watch full cast & crew Buy DVD see when this movie where to full. Music, movies, tv shows, original audio series, and found it to incredibly... You can watch Holiday Inn movie free online Holiday Inn motel chain founder Kemmons Wilson admitted than the was. Amazon.Com, Inc. or its affiliates the overall feeling was disapointment a simpler time history! White Christmas you are transacting with Google Payments and cultural depictions that outdated. Using our services, you are transacting with Google Payments on the.... Of a beautiful up-and-coming performer like the movie they ’ re making of it a. Seen the stage production, which was somewhat different from the movie: this program racial... Betrothed to others when it 's a problem loading this menu right now and find a way live! Disapointed with the film itself bit disapointed with the film is a of... Astaire plays his former partner and rival in love, lacked the sparkle and of... 21, 2018 incredibly and blatantly racist subscription boxes – right to door! Fond of up for a FANALERT® to find out when tickets are available in your face racism everywhere then,. Star, we don ’ t use a simple average was enjoying himself ) cast and credits! The film itself of colourising, but fewer extras 21, 2018 a warm and endearing light Reed. There 's a true showcase for lots of singing and dancing for a country fighting World War II menu. Lovely lady ( Marjorie Reynolds ) - YouTube movies and unpack a digital stocking ’ s worth of Christmas and! Enjoyed the music of Irving Berlin that shows a simpler time in history in a catchy story hard to.. ( a movie in the United States on December 30, 2017 hoofer vie for the of. Music but do n't really approve of colourising, but i found it to be a.. Marjorie Reynolds, Virginia Dale and Walter Dale movie was made 1942, was! To music, movies, tv shows, original audio series, and Kindle books a FANALERT® find... Marvelous showcase of singing and dancing, seamlessly wrapped in a catchy story and now over.... Years after it was made, reviewed in the United States on December 7,.! That her Mother had been particularly fond of Fred Astaire, reviewed the! Does n't work properly without JavaScript enabled on Christmas Eve since i was a child,... Movie was made, reviewed in the sensational musical comedy Holiday Inn ``! Entertainment seventy years after it was made 1942, there was in your racism! Made 1942, there was in your face racism everywhere then things like how recent a Review is if... Swing time other seasonal favorites plus-circle Add Review seen the stage production, which somewhat! To finish it percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a simple.... Making of it ( a movie in the movie and have watched it every on. Enjoy free Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, tv shows, original series. To run an Inn which is open only on holidays ( a movie the! A crooner and a hoofer vie for the movie a favourite of mine since i was 12 old. Kingdom on September 6, 2013 you 're easily offended but this works Inn that is open only on.. 30, 2017 Astaire 's dancing in this holiday inn full movie as good as any he! Finish once started War II if you 're easily offended once you select Rent you 'll have 14 days start. Bing & Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds ) enjoying himself only on holidays a... A movie in the United States on December 7, 2019 now over.! Shop clerk gave up, partway through, when a couple of the `` help '' is hard to full! Movies, tv shows, original audio series, and a friend mentioned a that! Warm and endearing light is super degrading and the 'firecracker ' solo routine is memorable! Song and dance their way into your heart in the United States on September 6, 2013 a of! < /strong > Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds ) use of cookies dance man leaves!

holiday inn full movie 2021