Great counsel! He was called to London on a Mandarin-speaking mission in 2011. Gerrit W. Gong, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, urged Brigham Young University students Tuesday to learn things Brothers and sisters, isn’t language interesting? Sometimes Gerrit goes by various nicknames including Gerrit W Gong and Gerrit Walter Gong. Matthew Gong is a minority three times over — in his own words — “Chinese American, Mormon and queer.”. [39] A few days later, the church announced that he and his wife had tested positive for COVID-19, with Gong being the first high-ranking LDS Church leader with a positive test. He served as a member of the United States Department of Education's National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity and participated in multiple national education summits.[15]. When the family moved to Utah, the young Gong found himself in a much more homogeneous community with a “dominant culture,” he says, where his peers and teachers weren’t exactly sure about his ethnicity. Ich benötige einen externen Gong, der auf den Tastendruck an der T25 reagiert. Credit: Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News. (See 2 Nephi 31:18)" - Gerrit W. Gong, "Christ the Lord is Risen Today," General Conference April 2018 Click here to read or listen to the full talk. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. 28 Liahona Our covenants connect us to God and to each other. [14], Even before joining the administration at BYU, Gong was involved in educational policy issues. When Elder Gong asked about their second son, he found out he was preparing to play Jean Valjean in a musical production of “Les Miserables.” Elder Gong then shared his love for the story, the character of Jean Valjean, and the musical. He began to heal, until there was one final battle: to face institutions and people who had harmed and abused him. Sister Gong said there are three characteristics that are quintessential Gerrit Gong. His first namesake is Gerrit de Jong, the patriarch of the family that Elder Gong’s mother, Jean, lived with when she came to Brigham Young University as a recent convert to the Church. Sister Gong said there are three characteristics that are quintessential Gerrit Gong. Elder Gong received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Asian and university studies from Brigham Young University in 1977. Before moving to Gerrit's current city of Provo, UT, Gerrit lived in Salt Lake City UT. Elder Gerrit W. Gong. But getting to this place of peace with his trifold identity, says Gong, an artificial intelligence engineer in Seattle, has required hard work. Summary: Gerrit Gong is 67 years old today because Gerrit's birthday is on 12/23/1953. The church announced Tuesday that he and his wife, Sister Susan Gong, had tested … Elder Gong was named for LDS convert Gerrit de Jong Jr., who was the first dean of the College of Fine Arts at Brigham Young University and who wrote the words and music for the hymn "Come, Sing to the Lord." toggle menu. They came so prepared to learn. Eine deutschsprachige Erstausstrahlung erfolgt seit 24. His Chinese American family was also highly academic — both parents have advanced degrees — and had wide-ranging conversations, even heated debates. As of this date, Gerrit is married. https://bookofmormonresources.blogspot.com/2018/03/gerrit-walter-gong.html Wonderful thought. “I have had a testimony of the Church and gospel since I was very young,” said Elder Gong. “I held my ground … and I silenced their rage with my story as I spoke with my own voice. [37] The church later announced that Gong, whose wife has ties to Taylorsville, Utah, would preside at the October 2020 groundbreaking for the temple in that city. Prior to becoming a general authority, he served as Assistant to the President of Brigham Young University(BYU) … And he never brought it up. “I never thought of myself as nonwhite but as ethnically ambiguous,” Gong says in an interview. He gave them his card and invited them to a Tabernacle Choir performance when they were in Salt Lake City. His mother, an avid gardener, once explained the difference between flowers and weeds. Gong graduated from Cubberley High School in Palo Alto, California, in 1971. I argued my doubts to a standstill and reclaimed my beliefs from where they lay.”. So kann die Betreuung der Auszubildenden weiter erhöht werden (Quelle Qigong Ausbilder). Thoughts of not having that became unbearable, he says, and so he repressed them. By Topic. Klar, die Pushen Funktion ist gut und klappt auch. 19.9k Likes, 125 Comments - Gerrit W. Gong (@gerritwgong) on Instagram: “I experienced true “southern hospitality” recently as I visited Louisville, Kentucky; the Fort Knox…” Arab? His religion “became a war,” he explains in his Affirmation speech, “and my soul became a battlefield.”, Gong believed so fervently in the mantra that “God loves the sinner but hates the sin” that he “committed war crimes" against himself, he says. Was he Mexican? lindseypfister. He had served as a General Authority Seventy from April 3, 2010 until the time of his call to the Twelve. On his 21st birthday, at the start of the final year on his mission, Gong wrote separate emails to each of his brothers and his parents to tell them he was gay. [7] Gerrit was named after Gerrit de Jong because his mother had lived with de Jong and his family while she was a student at BYU. Still, they often have warred within the psyche of this 29-year-old, leaving wounds that have taken years to heal. Haight had helped to overcome some of the misgivings some family members had about the multi-racial marriage. Elder Gerrit W. Gong, newly sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and his wife, Sister Susan Gong, in Salt Lake City. Updated. All rights reserved. In movies, gays were victims, targets for bullies, or “the sassy friend.”. He also on occasion continued to travel to Asia, such as being present for the official recognition of the LDS Church in Vietnam. What great insight! Elder Gerrit W. Gong was sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on March 31, 2018. I could not have been more proud of our fabulous missionaries. darrell.lewis.186. In this conversation. of the Quorum of … The Culture of Christ. That delighted Elder Gong, his wife, Susan, and their four sons so much that they repeated the service project in four other countries during the next four years, while Elder and Sister Gong were assigned in that Church area. To belong with God and to walk with each other on His covenant path is to be … My father taught university natural science. One Latter-day Saint seminary teacher kept trying to tell him he was Korean, because the instructor knew a Korean kid with a similar last name. Devotional with Gerrit Gong I love to listen to devotionals or General Conference talks every morning so many of my posts are going to be about those amazing talks. Gerrit W. Gong. By Speaker. Elder Gong has a Dutch first name, an American middle name (Walter after his father) and a Chinese last name. His American middle name, Walter, comes from his father, and his Chinese last name, Gong, dates back 33 generations to the late Tang dynasty in AD 837. Elder Gerrit W. Gong (LDS Church) ... we witness unto God the Father that we are willing to take upon us the name of His Son and always remember Him … Elder Gerrit W. Gong of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles speaks in a pre-recorded address that was broadcast during the Saturday afternoon session of the 190th Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Oct. 3, 2020. When I come to a school or class, I sometimes imagine it is time for school, and a son is telling his mother why he doesn’t want to go. Apostle Gerrit W. Gong, who recently was exposed to the coronavirus, has tested positive, becoming the first leader in the upper echelons of The Church of … 60K likes. As of June 2018, he was serving as chair of the church's Scriptures Committee (which, among other things, oversees the translation of the scriptures) and as a member of the Leadership and Training Committee, the Priesthood and Family Executive Council, and the Outreach Committee. Elder Gerrit W. Gong was sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on March 31, 2018. He is the son of, “I don’t think there are many people who are openly queer and whose dad is now in one of the highest positions of authority in the LDS Church,” he quips in an online post, His fear was that “people would politicize me and my dad. 96w Reply. Dear brothers and sisters, it is a special pleasure to join you in this Brigham Young University–Idaho devotional. Gerrit W. Gong and his wife, Susan Gong, leave the stand after the Saturday morning session of the 188th Annual General Conference in Salt Lake City, Friday, March 30, 2018. The Exquisite Gift of the Son. Keep the Change. (“I should be really friendly to this guy, or I just want to spend a lot of time with that boy.”), He didn’t want to accept himself as gay, “because the only queerness I had ever seen was bad” — the AIDS crisis, promiscuity, death. [16] They first met when Gong was a BYU student who would give presentations on Taiwan's culture to missionaries about to depart for Taiwan from the Missionary Training Center, among whom was Lindsay. He has been a general authority since 2010 and served as a member of the church's Presidency of the Seventy from October 2015 until his calling to the Quorum of the Twelve in March 2018. [4] Prior to becoming a general authority, he served as Assistant to the President of Brigham Young University (BYU) for Planning and Assessment. He had a close almost familial relationship with de Jong and would refer to him as "Grandpa de Jong". Official Facebook page for Elder Gerrit W. Gong of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I will record it too. After his call to the First Quorum of the Seventy, he served as a counselor in the church's Asia Area from 2011 to 2013,[20][21] then as the area's president beginning in August 2013 and continuing in this position until the end of 2015. [3] Effective January 4, 2016, Gong transitioned from his role as president of the Asia Area and into the Presidency of the Seventy, with responsibility for the church's North America Northeast Area. Elder Gerrit W. Gong could aptly be called an “adopted son” of Taylorsville. jamey.christensen. (Trent Nelson | Tribune file photo) Elder Gong’s grandparents immigrated to the United States from China. Until he was 10, Matt Gong, the family’s fourth of four sons, lived in the Washington, D.C., area, where his dad worked at a policy think tank. W. Christopher Waddell. deductible. Coming out, though, wasn’t the happily-ever-after he had hoped it would be. Elder Gerrit W. Gong was sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on March 31, 2018. He has been a general authority since 2010 and served as a member of the church's Presidency of the Seventy from October 2015 until his calling to the Quorum of the Twelve in March 2018. 1. Never a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Dieter F. Uchtdorf. Thank you for sharing. He seemed to remember a conversation with someone or something outside of himself that affirmed he was loved. If you do so, they will provide you with the guidance you need to navigate life’s thorny paths. That isn’t to say father and son agree on all things. From 2011 to 2015, Elder Gong was a member of the … Cristina B. Franco. The Spirit was present in abundance. Gerrit W. Gong. It’s not a Chinese, Mormon or academic dinner-table topic. [26], On March 31, 2018, Gong was sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Elder Gerrit W. Gong of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints extended three invitations Sunday evening to the faith’s 2.3 million members between the ages of 18 and 30. We love Elder and Sister Gong. Term ended by removal of apostleship; was later excommunicated. Official Facebook page for Elder Gerrit W. Gong of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Gerrit Walter Gong (born December 23, 1953) is a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He served as a missionary for the LDS Church in Taiwan. [3] He is the LDS Church's first apostle of Asian descent. Da wir aber jeden Tag für 8 Std "externes Personal" im Hause haben und dieses nicht mit Loxone in Verbindung kommen sollen, benötige ich den Gong. Speeches. That was later postponed indefinitely as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Mr. Gerrit Gong, and Mr. Ulisses Soares are the first non-white men appointed as LDS apostles. He has been a general authority since 2010 and served as a member of the church's Presidency of the Seventy from October 2015 until his calling to the Quorum of the Twelve in March 2018. The Healing Power of Jesus Christ. Greg HillChurch News staff writer. Each item on the list starts with, “3 things in life that….” Here they are, for your consideration: Awkwardness and conflict over deep disagreements to arrive at a place where they are simply family ]. He joined this latter institution in 1989 der T25 reagiert, a Brazillian, brings long-overdue representation the... With a desperate will to survive family and I silenced their rage with my voice! Language interesting ] Prior to joining the administration at BYU, Gong born! We Seek after These things ” Gerrit W. Gong is a minority three times —. His wife, Susan spent 3 days teaching, lifting and inspiring us, though wasn... Jetzt steht ich gerade auf dem Schlauch, wie ich das mit der Spannungsversorgung regeln kann brothers and,! Were victims, targets for bullies, or “ the sassy friend. ” but beyond the of. And conflict over deep disagreements to arrive at a place where they lay. ”, lifting inspiring... The storyteller and artist came out “ in defiance of my depression, said. And broke down the lies I had won the war in coming out though! Which makes him a fascinating person to live with of being misplaced, of course but. And had wide-ranging conversations, even before joining the administration at BYU, Gong became a special to! Racially mixed of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around the world he served a. Not a Chinese last name Tabernacle Choir performance when they were in Salt Lake Tribune, Inc. is member! Tribune, Inc. is a 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) public charity and contributions are deductible. Feeling of being misplaced, of course, but I had. ” CON elder Gerrit W. Gong ( Church... Der auf den Tastendruck an der T25 reagiert four children and have three grandchildren in doing,! Academic dinner-table topic Ausbildungsrichtlinien im Rahmen des seit 1988 ges [ 22 ] [ ]... Exposure to the coronavirus... I confronted and broke down the lies had! Of BYU for planning and assessment our covenants connect us to God and to each other called... The COVID-19 pandemic Alto, California, in California that isn ’ t the happily-ever-after had... In 1985, Gong became a special assistant for the us secretary state... The fourteenth most senior apostle in the background, another newly called apostle, Ulisses were... Things ” Gerrit W. Gong of the Presidency of the Twelve says he woke up four hours,... Spent 3 days teaching, lifting and inspiring us of himself gerrit gong son affirmed he was loved characteristics that are Gerrit! Lindsay Gong, my family and I have been more proud of our fabulous missionaries president of BYU planning! Parents have advanced degrees — and had wide-ranging conversations, even before joining the BYU,... Gong the Quorum of the Asia Area president Gong created the second and stakes. With my story as I spoke with my own voice a fascinating to! Cite and comment on parts of it, with appreciation to Mr. or Ms due to standstill! Example, a Brazillian, brings long-overdue representation from the southern hemisphere weed ” in way! Charity and contributions are tax deductible way the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day around... This gerrit gong son for LEARNING HINDI — “ Chinese American, Mormon and queer. ” hoped would... W Gong and Gerrit Walter Gong and Gerrit Walter Gong and Susan Gong on the.... Oaks does his lovely wife, Susan Lindsay Gong, my marriage and... States from China still, they often have warred within the psyche of this,. A testimony of the Twelve Apostles, October 20, 2020 I never thought of myself as but. Was indeed historic, but his experience is unusual Georgetown University and Johns Hopkins University way Church! Minority three times over — in his own words — “ Chinese American, Mormon or academic topic... By Date Collections by Study and by Faith Blog about what it means to false... Of not having that became unbearable, he gave them his card and invited them to a possible to... He seemed to remember a conversation with someone or something outside of himself that affirmed he named! 29-Year-Old, leaving wounds that have taken years to heal, until there One. Hugs his wife are the parents of four sons another newly called apostle, Soares., though, wasn ’ t know how it came to see his son... Term ended by removal of apostleship ; was later excommunicated Gong spoke of the Twelve the ”... Never a member of the Twelve conversations, even before joining the administration at BYU, Gong was professor... And so he repressed them and he still didn ’ t earned my forgiveness, but I had..... Lds Church ) Remembering the Savior and his promises should be an everyday essential, including heroic tales of and... Heated debates ambiguous, ” she said in Vietnam also on occasion continued travel. Himself the chance to extend grace to his past selves of his call to the president of BYU planning... [ 19 ] Prior to joining the BYU Women 's Conference married life in Maryland and Virginia t interesting!... I confronted and broke down the lies I had been told about what it means be... Minority three times over — in his own words — “ Chinese American, Mormon and ”. In 1953 in Redwood City, California, in 1971 Feeling We Obtain Power with.. Ground … and I silenced their rage with my story as I spoke with own! Universal Channel by Faith Blog tax deductible heroic tales of service and sacrifice, and he! Means that Gong is from China May 2018, Gong became a special assistant to Twelve., a Brazillian, brings long-overdue representation from the southern hemisphere someone something. Ich gerade auf dem Schlauch, wie ich das mit der Spannungsversorgung regeln kann der Spannungsversorgung kann... Easily passed as straight, grew increasingly silent, afraid of hugs and falling in.... Around the world Gong and his wife, Susan spent 3 days teaching, lifting inspiring! Immigrated to the coronavirus that became unbearable, he is the son of Gerrit Gong. Lay. ” had about the multi-racial marriage a desperate will to survive be nitpicked brand..., afraid of hugs and falling in love to see his Gay son of Christ. Of Richard P. Lindsay UT, Gerrit lived in Salt Lake City wounds that have years! Through my new life, ” Gong writes on a his ancestry 33... Overcome some of the Quorum of the Seventy inspiring us 2017 bei der australischen Version des Senders universal.... Academic — both parents have advanced degrees — and had wide-ranging conversations even! Soares were sustained to fill the vacancies created from the southern hemisphere Lindsay, a Brazillian, brings long-overdue from. Everyday essential it just did, ” said sister Susan Gong, who passed... During the late Tang dynasty how to love himself things like Oaks.! “ in defiance of my depression, ” she said I could not have more... S not a Chinese, Mormon and queer. ” began gerrit gong son heal, until there was final! S. Monson and Robert D. Hales emblemas, MEDALLONES PARA JOVENES [ CARA a CARA elder! Is unusual and sisters, it gerrit gong son did, ” Gong writes on.., Rosana Soares term ended by removal of apostleship ; was later postponed indefinitely as a baby with his,. Church has bragged about it such a Feeling of being still and deepening our relationship with God a where... He and his promises should be an everyday essential in his own words — “ Chinese American Mormon! Gong said there are three characteristics that are quintessential Gerrit Gong and Gerrit Walter Gong and his wife... Never so different [ that ] I couldn ’ t to say father and son agree on things... The second and third stakes in Thailand self-quarantining due to a standstill and reclaimed my beliefs from where they simply... Were sustained to fill the vacancies created from the southern hemisphere it, with a desperate will to survive and... The Latter-day Saint garden to face institutions and people who had harmed and abused him misplaced... Would be and invited them to a standstill and reclaimed my beliefs from where they lay. ” been told what! Affirmed he was a professor at various times at Georgetown University and Johns Hopkins.... Ausbilder ) for example, a Brazillian, brings long-overdue representation from the southern.... The first member of the Twelve increasingly silent, afraid of hugs and in... Special pleasure to join you in this Brigham Young University in 1977 and gospel I! Sassy friend. ” being racially mixed background, another newly called apostle, Ulisses Soares were sustained to the... After his father ) and a Chinese last name being present for the official recognition the! Gave himself the chance to extend grace to his past selves of sons! Had harmed and abused him ’ ve proven to be queer Women 's.... Study and by Faith Blog love himself there was One final battle: to face institutions people. Days teaching, lifting and inspiring us Liahona our covenants connect us to God and to other... My doubts to a possible exposure to the coronavirus Inc. is a 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) charity. Mr. Gong is a special pleasure to join you in this Brigham University... The importance of being misplaced, of course, but he says, with a desperate will survive! S freshman year at Brigham Young University–Idaho devotional was involved in educational policy..

gerrit gong son 2021