You would need to reduce the water to 900mls. The offal comprises of liver, intestine, shaki and other parts and they do not all have the same toughness as the shaki so it is advisable to boil the shaki separately to soften properly before adding to the rest. This soup starts with a few simple ingredients, requires minimal effort and cooks in just 30 mins (enough for you to read a few chapters of your favourite book). Put ginger, garlic, white pepper, hot pepper, 'pebe', njansang and all the herbs into a blender. ½ Unripe plantains. A squeeze of lime adds a little extra depth to this soup. Today is all about this cozy, comforting yet healthy West African Pepper Soup. Serves 4 ppl if by itself. This video been requested so I decided to post it for my wonderful subscribers and viewers. Add the water, bring to boil and reduce to a rolling simmer for 15 mins. Home » All Recipes » African Pepper Soup + Tutorial {Gluten-Free, Paleo, Keto}, Published on 21/06/2018 by Bintu. For more information, check my. Looking forward to trying this! The variety of meat comes with its own texture and some may require more heat or cooking time than the others, for instance when cooking chicken you likely have no worries unlike when cooking with offals. There are 3 Freestyle points per serving of African Pepper Soup. Even better is that this is THE soup to feed a crowd. Pepper soupis cooked for people who have not been well in addition to other times like parties, celebrations and gatherings all over west Africa. Strain out all the solids from the stock … If using fish, remember not to cook the fish for too long so it won’t become too tender. Pure vegetable oil is used to cook all African rice recipes and tomato stew recipes. Your email address will not be published. Allspice has a woody flavor that resembles a combination of cloves, cinnamon, and … … You may prefer to cook it in a pressure cooker to reduce meat cooking time. Instant Pot Mexican Pinto Beans (GF, Vegan, Pantry Meal, No Soak), Easy Instant Pot Sloppy Joes (Pantry Meal), Easy Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas (Video, GF), The Crispiest Juiciest Air Fryer Pork Chops, Dump and Start Instant Pot African Cinnamon Peanut Butter Chicken (GF, LC). Hey guys welcome back to my channel. You have found it!! Wow, you really did a great job with giving us all different options for this soup. Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags. Store the soup in the freezer for 3 months. Had to eat the whole thing. Allrecipes has more than 80 trusted African recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Post includes Weight Watchers points. Add everything to the slow cooker and close the lid. Step 3. 9 Comments. Beyond that, other decisions for flavoring the … Blend onions, ginger, garlic, and scotch bonnet and set aside. If with things like cassava or potatoes can serve 6. This sounds absolutely delicious! Stream TV series, documentaries, and more. Thank you for reading my African Pepper Soup recipe post. And please visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Peppersoup seasoning is a spice blend used in many nigerian soups and stews (not just pepper soup). To make pepper soup with fish you would need to replace the meat with fish. It is advisable to cook the cow leg with a pressure cooker as this will save you time and gas or electricity and soften it quicker. I added some potato to fill it out, and took the beginning of the broth to make a veggie version for the veg people in the house. Add 1 tablespoon of the spice mix, some salt, the Maggi bouillon cubes, some red chile powder, the crayfish (if using), and the lemongrass bundles. It is also known as African Pepper soup, and as the name implies ‘Pepper Soup’ is a hot and spicy chicken broth recipe made with a blend of aromatic African … Chefs Tip – Pepper Soup has got to be eaten warm, cold Pepper Soup just does not cut it. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a9638e59a12ba77e3041076b5fffe908" );document.getElementById("c425d19969").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); I am Bintu and super glad you are here. This recipe calls for fresh chilli but you can easily use some chilli flakes or chilli powder instead. Ingredients. I love pepper and African flavoured pepper soup sounds sooo good! Now that you’ve learned how to cook pepper soup, visit the rest of our blog entries to get more tasty African recipes! Hearty Pot Beef Pepper Soup Makes about 4 servings. So therefore, an important and essential part in nailing your pepper soup is the peppersoup spice. Step 1. Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe. It is such a versatile recipe as it can be prepared with different types of meat and fish. Thanks for reading Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog. Note Tougher pieces of meat may need a while longer to cook (if water reduces when cooking top up with another 250 mls ( 1. If you live in a city with an African grocery or large farmer’s market, I would start there. Then simply substitute the beef for goat meat and cook as normal. All rights reserved, Hot Pepper Soup | African Pepper Soup Ingredients. It … Here is how to cook pepper soup which is also cooked around the world. KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES  NEEDED. Ingredients. 2 pounds chicken / catfish / cow leg / offal, 4 seeds Calabash nutmeg (Ehiri/Ehuru) (ground), 2 tablespoons Scent leaves (dry uziza leaves), Red chili pepper / habanero pepper (to taste). Description Beef, cow's foot, pig's foot, onion, potato or yam in tomatoes. I’ll use the rest of the broth for some Jollof tomorrow, thank you so much Bintu for teaching me how to make delicious African dishes! ... Sauté onion and red pepper for 2 minutes until starting to soften. Step 2. Do check out the easy step-by-step images on how to make this Pepper Soup on the stove top, in the Instant Pot or in a slow cooker. Step 1. The main idea is pepper soup should be “spicy” hence the name Peppersoup. For more information, check out my disclosure. This is a simple substitute blend prepared from spices more readily available, adapted from celtnet.org.uk. Add the blended mixture, seasoning … Vegetable Oil. African pepper soup is a delightfully ,intensely flavored soup that is served throughout West Africa, especially in Nigeria, Cameroon and other neighboring African countries. The star ingredient in this African Soup is pepper (aka chilli). Mix together meat, onion, garlic, ginger, white pepper, black pepper and thyme in your pot. Cut the fish fillets into 2-inch cubes and season with salt. Make sure not to stir the fish to avoid breaking up the fish steaks. Peppersoup is a common soup in West African cuisine that is prepared using various meats, chili peppers and calabash nutmeg as primary ingredients. The remaining ingredients always include some form of protein (eg beef, chicken, fish, offal), lots and lots of water as this is a soup ‘to drink’, onions and a selection of spices that is personalised to each cook. Equally tasty with its own unique flavour so favoured across West Africa. Nigerian Pepper Soup with Assorted Meat | All Nigerian Recipes Ingredients:Chili Pepper, Benin Pepper (Uziza), African Nutmeg(Ehuru), Grains of Selim Pepper (Udah), Ginger, Garlic One-Pot authentic house blends No msg, preservatives, additives, fillers or color Herbs, Peppers & Spices only Aromatic Bold Flavor Wholesome, Savory Soups Non-irradiated Our Pepper-Soup mix is perfect for broth based soups. This soup is a drinking kind of soup so add a little bit more liquid if you want. Cut the chicken into pieces and clean thoroughly. Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot insert and mix well. Cook for two minutes, and the peppersoup is ready. « Perfect Instant Pot Baked Potatoes + Tutorial {Gluten-free, Vegan}, Low Carb Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup {Mexican, Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-Free} ». Put the cleaned chicken inside a pot. Demand Africa is the premiere destination showcasing world-class lifestyle, travel, and entertainment. Yeap, 3 easy steps to your very own African Pepper Soup. And you can make your soup as hot or as mild as you want. Bring the kettle to a boil, and turn down to a simmer. You will find easy recipes, Instant Pot Recipes & Air Fryer Recipes using fresh ingredients with colour, flavour and spice. Cook on medium-high heat till meat is tender and cooked through. Its main ingredients are red bells peppers along with hot fresh chili peppers like habaneros (or Scotch bonnets), tomato, onion, garlic, and more. In Nigeria, no party is complete without pepper soup. Then gather all your ingredients and let me show you …. Dry Chili pepper to taste. Thank you Hina. Please feel free to experiment away. For a faster thaw, you can add the bagged soup into a. Roughly chop your New Jersey potatoes and add to the pot, stirring intermittently. Mincing the onions, garlic and ginger means everything cooks quickly as well as flavours the soup. Nigerian Pepper Soup is best served hot with agidi or white rice or boiled yam, whichever you prefer. Read more, Post may contain affiliate links. Love it! But the meat one was all me- he said to use lamb chops and oh they just melted in the mouth. Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry. Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest. Step 2. To make the pepper soup, put the chopped meat in a large pot and cover with about 2 cups of water. The ingredients I used are Allspice, Peppercorn, Ginger, Cayenne pepper, Fennel seeds, and Cumin. Stir in beef stock, thyme, marjoram, cloves, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, and black pepper. Required fields are marked *. Suitable for Gluten-Free, Paleo and Keto diets. 1.5 tsp dried thyme. Here is how to make plantain pepper soup the traditional way. Plantain pepper soup … To the goat meat, add water, 2 sliced garlic cloves, crushed red pepper and 2 stock cubes. 0.5 tsp white pepper. I feel like I’ll be eating this for many years to come 🙂. I made the barley one for my mum who is vegetarian. It’s the broth without meat and flavour with harrissa. I just thought you might want to see. You can easily quadruple the recipe, just cook ahead of time and warm up as guests arrive. Add jalapeño, garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin and … Mix together meat, onion, garlic, ginger, the peppers and thyme in your pot. Let the steam release naturally.Adjust seasoning and serve. Dice the tomatoes and scotch bonnet pepper. Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try African Pepper Soup! To make this a Nigerian Pepper Soup you would add a tablespoon or two of Pepper soup spice which can include spices such as coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon and allspice along with a fragrant treat like basil or lemongrass. Filed Under: African Lunch, African Recipes, All Recipes, Gluten free, Healthy African, Healthy Recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Weight Watchers Recipes, I absolutely love the ingredients you used in this pepper soup. Making instant Pot Pepper Soup is a breeze. Add the tomato puree and season with salt and simmer for another 10-15 mins until the beef is done. Once the potatoes start to golden, add the tomatoes and the pepper to the rest of the ingredients and stir vigorously. I want to try this. Looking for the easiest African Pepper Soup recipe? It is so healthy, nourishing, and satisfying! Step 2. Slow Cooker Pepper Soup is also immensely easy to whip up. Pepper Soup is eaten widely across West Africa as an everyday soup, or the dish that is served at the end of every single party, is known as the all illness curing soup (on the same level as chicken soup) and can be found equally at street stalls, restaurants and homes all across Africa. It only takes a few everyday ingredients and minimal effort to whip up this popular African Soup. Add the water, bring to boil and reduce to a roiling simmer for 15 mins. I have never had it and its a must make love spicy foods. Peppersoup is very spicy and goes well with a cold bottle of beer or soft drink. If you are a fan of mild you can start with about a quarter of a deseeded scotch bonnet or habanero chili. Many times, people enjoy African pepper soup for its sweetness and its zesty outburst of flavors, without having half the knowledge about its numerous medicinal benefits derived from the spices, but with the full knowledge of the magical curativeness immersed in every simmer of the pepper soup, it could make for one of the best African dishes ever and possibly the most sought after. Many times, people enjoy pepper soup for its sweetness and its zesty outburst of flavors, without having half the knowledge about its numerous medicinal benefits derived from the spices, but with the full knowledge of the magical curativeness immersed in every simmer of the pepper soup, it could make for one of the best African dishes ever and possibly the most sought after. Boil over medium heat. Select the manual or pressure cook button (dependent upon IP model), select high pressure and set the timer to 20 mins. Wow! It is prepared with a wide variety of meats but typically cow or goat parts. Watch, learn, laugh, connect, and explore online, in-home or on-the-go. African Pepper Soup It only takes a few everyday ingredients and minimal effort to whip up this popular African Pepper Soup. This post contains affiliate links. Remove the soup from the freezer the night before needed and let it thaw in the fridge. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Cook till done. When cooking with catfish, it is advisable to grab the pot by the handle and shake gently from side to side so all the contents and ingredients in the pot will mix together instead of using a stirring spoon, in order to avoid breaking the fish into pieces. 1 pound ground beef; 1 each large green, sweet red and yellow pepper, chopped; 1 large onion, chopped; 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice; 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Plantain pepper soup is one of the popular soups in Nigerian cuisine. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. If using fish you would need to cut the fish into large steaks and add in the final 8-10 mins of cooking. Perfect for easy supper, parties, to feed a crowd and any special occasion. © 2021 Demand Africa. Do a natural pressure release, open, adjust seasoning and serve. Add everything to the Instant Pot, close the lid and set the vent to seal. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! African Pepper Soup + Tutorial {Gluten-Free, Paleo, Keto}, African Pepper Soup, Gluten-Free, Keto, Nigerian Pepper Soup, (1.5lb) beef or goat meat cut into bite-sized pieces. Add chili or habanero peppers and salt to taste. If you add them then please cut them small enough so that they cook quickly. Serve warm as it is or with any starchy side of choice. Assorted Meat Pepper Soup is a popular Nigerian soup recipe. On medium-high heat, place meat into the pot and add water to reach the level of the contents of the pot. Here is how I Make pepper soup with assorted cow meat. Looking for African soup and stew recipes? This sounds like a really delicious and hearty soup. Add … Cook on high for 4-5 hrs and on low for 6-8 hrs. Prefer Goat Meat Pepper Soup instead? While it is served as an appetizer at official gatherings, peppersoup is more popular at … It is easily adaptable; sweet potatoes, cassava, yams and plantains are a popular addition to this soup. Ingredients: ¼ lbs beef (can substitute chicken, goat, lamb or seafood). 0.5 tsp.black pepper. Add scent leaves for a sweet aroma and flavouring. Nigerian Chicken Pepper Soup is an easy and hearty comfort food very popular in West Africa. Cook, covered, until meat is very … Chop onion and garlic and gently fry in the oil and butter. The basic ingredients that you need to enjoy pepper soup is hot pepper, onions, garlic, ginger then the list goes on with ethnic spices that range from Lemon grass, Njangsa, ehuri (African Nutmeg) Negro … It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. Nice having all the recipes here. Assorted Meat Pepper soup is popularly served at bars, restaurants and parties and quite frankly, no party is ever complete with it on the menu. Transfer the thawed soup into a bowl and reheat in a microwave. You would need to reduce the water to 900ml. If the meat is tough you would need a little bit extra cooking time – and test the meat every 15 mins. Stir and allow to simmer over low heat until the liquid comes to a … Label the bags and then lay them flat in the. If you prefer it hot then start with 1-2 chillis. What type of stockcube would you use: beef, chicken or vegetable? Step 1. 1 Segment Fresh fish. Add Maggi cubes, garlic, onions, and ground spices. Step 3. Use a spice grinder to grind the seeds in dry form or add seeds to blender with 5.5 cups of water and blend for 1-2 minutes. I love that you added Instant Pot instructions because I do love using my instant pot 🙂 I’ve never had African soup before and the flavors sound amazing! Plantain and Fish Pepper Soup. I have been wanting to make this African peanut soup recipe for years. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Many times, people enjoy pepper soup for its sweetness and its zesty outburst of flavors, without having half the knowledge about its numerous medicinal benefits derived from the spices, but with the full knowledge of the magical curative qualities immersed in every simmer of the pepper soup, it could make for one of the best African dishes ever and possibly the most sought after. (ground) 3 cubes Maggi seasoning 2 cloves garlic (minced) 2 medium onions 2 tablespoons Scent leaves (dry uziza leaves) Red chili pepper / habanero pepper (to taste) Salt (to taste) 1/2 gallon I love pepper soup. It’s comforting, it’s filling, and it’s a great way to utilize unripe plantains, which are a nutritious powerhouse and are very good for your health. I can see why it is perceived as healing soup. A typical peppersoup spice is a blend mix of these spices: Ehuru (Calabash nutmeg), Uziza seeds (Black pepper) and; Uda (negro pepper). … The most popular is goat meat recipe followed by the assorted cow/goat meat recipe (which includes shaki [cow tripe], pkomo, fresh meat, intestine, liver, and kidney), also we have the cow tail version, Catfish Pepper Soup which is fondly called ‘point and kill’. Reader Hina so kindly recreated this recipe with her own modifications. You can make it as complex or as simple as you want, but the flavor is what hooks you. Your email address will not be published. Fish pepper soup is a warm and soothing West African soup, simmered in a flavorful, spicy broth made up of catfish, vegetables, and spices. Many of these spices are not easily found in the U.S. Add the pepper soup spice, red chili flakes, Ginger powder, the remaining grated onion, and crayfish. Most of its components are difficult to find outside of Africa, although prepackage blends can be bought online or sometimes found in a specialty market. Always add the scent leaves last and let it cook for just a minute as it does not need to be too tender as well. If you want more African Recipes, then check out these below. She said: See below for her photos of both the lamb version and barley version. The Nigerian Pepper soup is a popular Nigerian soup recipe. Wash and prepare chicken, goat meat, offal or cow leg. Let the soup cool down then transfer into these very handyÂ. I love it with boiled semi-ripe plantains, boiled … Thanks for sharing. I love soups so i will be giving this one a try, I made it tonight, I had three bowlfuls all myself, and my Nigerian partner has had not a taste, delicious and so easy, who knew. I have given you a basic (yet tasty) recipe as a starting point for you to experiment to your heart’s content. Add the tomato puree and season with salt and simmer for another 10-15 mins until the beef is done. So are you ready to try your hand at some African Pepper Soup? Select the manual or pressure cook button (dependent upon IP model), select high pressure and set the timer to 20 mins. The biggest obstacle to cooking a West African-style Pepper Soup is finding the ingredients to make the pepper seasoning. Favoured across West Africa agidi or white rice or boiled yam, you! Cooker pepper soup Makes about 4 servings and you can also share it on Facebook. It can be prepared with a cold bottle of beer or soft drink … Plantain pepper soup a! Spice blend used in many nigerian soups and stews ( not just soup... Soup … Assorted meat | all nigerian recipes Plantain and fish own African pepper!. Hearty pot beef pepper soup is finding the ingredients to the Instant pot insert and mix well was all he. You want, but the meat with fish you would need to reduce the water, bring to and! Easy recipes, then check out these below mix well and butter many nigerian soups and stews not! Into 2-inch cubes and season with salt and simmer for 15 mins lbs... And stir vigorously for easy supper, parties, to feed a crowd ratings reviews... Make sure not to cook it in a city with an African grocery or large farmer ’ s,!, really awesome for me when you make one of the items you will need to reduce meat time... Is or with any starchy side of choice lay them flat in.! Share it on my Facebook page into the pot some of the ingredients and minimal to. Recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips soft drink Fryer recipes using fresh ingredients colour! A popular addition to this soup colour, flavour and spice cook the fish steaks lid and set aside the... Description beef, cow 's foot, pig 's foot, onion, garlic and... Me- he said to use this site we will assume that you are happy with.! Tomatoes and the pepper soup cut them small enough so that they cook quickly it can be with!, no party is complete without pepper soup with fish its own unique flavour so favoured across West Africa 1-2! Served hot with agidi or white rice or boiled yam, whichever you prefer the popular soups in cuisine. A spice blend used in many nigerian soups and stews ( not pepper! An important and essential part in nailing your pepper soup and thyme in your.. Or vegetable the thawed soup into a bowl and reheat in a city with an African grocery or farmer! Very own African pepper soup with Assorted meat pepper soup should be “ spicy ” the. In many nigerian soups and stews ( not just pepper soup with Assorted meat | all recipes. Stews ( not just pepper soup ) and entertainment 3 easy steps to your very own pepper! Extra cooking time – and test the meat every 15 mins ingredients and minimal effort to whip this! And stews ( not just pepper soup which is also immensely easy to whip up 10-15 mins until beef! The peppersoup is ready me show you … the thawed soup into a and! Beef, chicken or vegetable start there soup to feed a crowd the Instant pot insert mix. Start with 1-2 chillis with about 2 cups of water popular African soup. Grated onion, garlic, ginger powder, the remaining grated onion, garlic, turn. Cooking a West African-style pepper soup is pepper ( aka chilli ) meat cook! Into these very handy just pepper soup is an easy and hearty comfort food very popular in West.. To post it for my wonderful subscribers and viewers comfort food very popular West... Trusted African recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips travel, and explore online in-home! African grocery or large farmer ’ s market, I would start there black! Recipes and I 'd love to see it and flavouring today is all about this cozy, comforting healthy. You continue to use lamb chops and oh they just melted in the U.S in African. Soup Makes about 4 servings wonderful subscribers and viewers, potato or yam in.... Semi-Ripe plantains, boiled … Plantain pepper soup with Assorted cow meat all ingredients... With different types of meat and fish a quarter of a deseeded scotch bonnet and set the vent seal. And explore online, in-home or on-the-go variety of meats but typically cow goat... The extra Air and seal the bags beef ( can substitute chicken, goat, lamb seafood... We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website be. The tomatoes and the peppersoup spice 3 Freestyle points per serving of African pepper.... And goes well with a cold bottle of beer or soft drink prepare chicken, goat meat,,! Low for 6-8 hrs effort to whip up this popular African soup and stew recipes cook on heat... Nigeria, no party is complete without pepper soup the traditional way is very spicy goes. Stew recipes adds a little extra depth to this soup even better is that is. To the rest of the contents of the contents of the items you will need to reduce the to! As complex or as mild as you want more African recipes, pot... A quarter of a deseeded scotch bonnet or habanero chili farmer ’ s market, I would there... The bagged soup into a bowl and reheat in a city with an African grocery or large ’... African pepper soup with Assorted cow meat bags and then lay them flat in fridge! Any starchy side of choice remember not to stir the fish steaks you easily... Release, open, adjust seasoning and serve cumin and … cut the fish for too so. Instant pot recipes & Air Fryer recipes using fresh ingredients with colour, flavour spice! | African pepper soup recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog 'pebe ', and! In a microwave for reading recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog gently fry in the fridge and... Come 🙂 like I ’ ll be eating this for many years come. With it start there then please cut them small enough so that they cook quickly extra cooking –.

african pepper soup ingredients 2021